Working with a large OEM valve manufacturing customer, Highland Foundry successfully supplied high specification cast valves and related components for two large Conoco projects in Cast Super Duplex material.
One of the projects was for theConoco Belanak floating, production, storage and offloading vessel (FPSO) recently built for operation off
the coast of Indonesia. The Belanak FPSO project involved one of the most complex processing systems ever installed offshore, and is a significant milestone for the Indonesian upstream sector. It is the first offshore liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) facility on a floating vessel in the Asia Pacific region. The casting challenge for this project was to build new pattern equipment for the various sizes of valves, initiate a first article approval process and complete production, testing and shipping all within a timeframe of 12 weeks.Highland supplied approximately 45 tons of ASTM A890 Grade 6A Super Duplex castings for this project.
A similar project in scope followed closely behind with theConoco Magnoliaproduction facility, which will utilize a Tension Leg Platform (TLP) to produce oil and natural gas from the Gulf of Mexico. The material of choice for the process valves was ASTM A890 Grade 5A (SAF 2507).
- Numerous sizes of check valves from 2″-8″
- Micrographic Examination- Free from intermetallic phases and precipitates
- Ferrite Determination- To ASTM E562
- Corrosion Testing- To ASTM G48 Method A
- Liquid Penetrant Examination- Per ASTM E165 and acceptance per MSS-SP93
- Radiographic Examination- Critical areas per ANSI B16.34 and acceptance per ASME Section VIII, Division 1, Appendix 7
Again, the project castings were on time and machined up defect free.